ADHO Special Interest Groups (SIGs) are encouraged by the ADHO Constituent Organisation Board (COB) as a locus for members of ADHO Constituent Organisations with similar professional specialties, interests, and aptitudes to exchange ideas, to keep themselves current on pertinent developments, and to mobilize in pursuit of positive, related activities and goals. In this way, SIGs represent key elements in the breadth and depth of the ADHO community, though they do not speak directly for ADHO, its committees, or its Constituent Organisations.
In support of SIGs, ADHO offers a platform for connection with and visibility within the international Digital Humanities community. If requested, ADHO would be happy to consider offering dedicated hosting space for the SIGs’ websites, a dedicated listserv and in-name sponsorship of related gatherings, workshops, and conferences, as well as in-name support when pursuing external funding.
- SIGs may be proposed by any group of ADHO members.
- To propose a SIG, members should elect or appoint a contact person who will act as intermediary with the ADHO Executive Board (EB) Secretary, and that person should send a description of the SIG — including its mission, anticipated activities and rationale, and list of its current membership — who will forward it to the COB for consideration.
- Approved proposals are posted to the ADHO website area dedicated to SIGs.
- The COB may approve proposed SIGs in areas of the ADHO mandate to its constituency for a period of three years (measured by the annual conference), which is renewable via reapplication.
- SIGs may be dissolved if the COB determines that their activities no longer positively pursue their mission in areas of ADHO’s mandate or no signs of activity are shown via their annual reporting; further, a SIG’s association with ADHO can be ended via 30 days written notice exchanged between the SIG and the ADHO COB initiated by either party.
- Each April, the contact person for each SIG will report on the activities of the SIG via email to the ADHO EB Secretary.
- This report will follow the model of the initial proposal, and will be entered into the minutes of the following ADHO COB and EB Annual General Meeting at the summer conference, and given presence on the section of the ADHO website dedicated to SIGs.
For a sample proposal, see that of the Libraries and Digital Humanities SIG.
19 June 2013; updated 20 June 2022