ADHO is seeking a new Secretary of its Executive Board, starting immediately. As with all ADHO Offices, it is an unremunerated position appointed by ADHO’s governing body, the Constituent Organization Board (COB).
The ADHO Executive Board Secretary works closely with the EB, the Constituent Organization Board (COB), and occasionally with various officers of the Constituent Organizations, to organize, record, and communicate ADHO governance meetings, documents, decisions, and action items. They also serve as record keepers, holders of institutional memory, and reference sources for ADHO policy, decisions, and custom. The Secretary is appointed by the COB and reports to the Executive Board (EB).
In the first several months (2022) the incumbent will act as ADHO EB Deputy Secretary, working in coordination with the current EB Secretary. Thereafter they will take on the full responsibilities of the role. In the following two years (2022-24) they will take on the full responsibilities of the role, with a new Deputy Secretary appointed for the third year.
- In consultation with the Chair of the EB, to provide notices of meeting times and places, and request contributions of items for, prepare and distribute agendas.
- To record and distribute the minutes of all meetings. To maintain and monitor a calendar of important dates, which includes times and terms of service, and action-item reminders.
- To maintain the records of the Alliance.
ADHO is governed by two complementary bodies:
- The Constituent Organizations Board (COB) is composed of one representative from each of the Constituent Organizations (COs) and a liaison to the Special Interest Groups (SIGs), and its role is to establish and develop vision, strategy, and policy for ADHO.
- The Executive Board (EB) is appointed by the COB, and its role is to enact the decisions made by the COB, to administer the day-to-day running of the organization, and to ensure that ADHO abides by all applicable laws. Officers serve terms ranging between 2-4 years depending on the nature of the post.
- ADHO is a global organization and the Secretary may be based in any country. The EB meets regularly (currently weekly) by teleconference and all ADHO Officers (including the Secretary) are required to make reasonable allowances to meet with colleagues in other time zones.
For further information, please see a full description of ADHO’s governance structure.The EB Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer also act as Trustees and Officers of Stichting ADHO, a charity registered in The Netherlands which is ADHO’s legal body.
- Any active member of the ADHO community is eligible to apply for this role, and some familiarity with this community is highly desirable.
- The Secretary must be a member of an ADHO Constituent Organization.
Nominators or interested applicants are encouraged to contact current EB Chair (and former Secretary) Glen Layne-Worthey gworthey[at]illinois.edu or Chair-Elect Diane Jakacki dkj004[at]bucknell.edu to discuss the position, which will remain open until filled.